Saturday, April 10, 2010

Maternity Gear

I hit the 20-week (half-way!) mile marker and my pants are getting tighter.  I not only need some new clothes fast, but I want them to be COMFORTABLE and make me feel somewhat normal!

There are lots of ways to create a whole new maternity wardrobe that's also earth-friendly: shopping second-hand stores, buying earth-friendly fabrics and production methods, borrowing from friends or making your own!

Second-Hand - Easy on the Earth, Easy on the Wallet

If you've been considering shopping a second-hand clothing store for its recycling-oriented eco-benefits, but haven't taken the plunge, maternity may be the perfect time to get started.  I didn't want to spend a ton on my maternity clothes and so many people use their old mom clothes so little, you have the chance to find some real bargains!

Most cities have consignment shops, thrift stores, and second-hand stores.  Search the internet, ask around, or check your phone book for places near you.  Here are a few nation-wide chains and websites for finding local thrift stores:

The Thrift Shopper - National list of charity-driven thrift stores with ratings
National Association of Retail & Thrift Shops - List of member local resale shops around the country
Savers
Good Will Industries

I live in rural America and none of the sites above mention locations in my area.  If this is your problem, open www.google.com and search for "Thrift Stores".  If there is one near you, it will usually pop up in the search results:


I had great luck shopping at second-hand stores (read the My Picks section below), but it's not for everyone.  Make sure you check each piece for hidden defects and wash the clothes you bring home before wearing (even though most places do this before adding them to the shelves).  Find a store you like and ask them if there are any upcoming sales on their maternity clothes.  It also doesn't hurt to ask for discounts.  If there is a flaw with the garment, but you still like it, ask for a few dollars off.  Read on for more earth-friendly shopping tips!

Earth-Friendly Fabrics & Production Methods

If you have a bit more money or don't think second-hand shopping if for you, try these links for fabulous earth-friendly maternity clothing ideas:


Euphoria Maternity - Their "Shop Green" link gets you to a variety of organic tops
Jessica Scott - Excellent designs from a husband & wife design team with a conscience; they donate 2.5% of their profits to the Children's Health Environmental Coalition 
The Cradle Community's Eco-Friendly Maternity Tips - Links to many a great, but expensive eco-friendly shop

I've tried hard to find bargain eco-maternity sites for new clothing, but I honestly don't think they exist.  Organic fabrics are still special items demanding premium pricing.  So, if you're looking to save a few bucks on clothes you may not wear very long, the other options in this article will be much more your style.

Your Husband's/Friends' Closets


Have a friend that's not using her maternity clothes anymore?  Don't be afraid to ask her to borrow them.  She may be relieved to get them out of her closet and it's nice to know the clothes are going to a good cause.

Is your husband a bit larger than you?  See if he's willing to share some of his shirts for a while.  Check your closet too, you may have saved a few of those free, but huge T-Shirts from various events - now's the time to pull those out.  


Make Your Own


The formula for this one is Time + Patience + Skill = Great Eco-Outfits!  I have a couple friends who I know are good at and love to make their own clothes, so I know there are lots of others out there too.  The best part about this option is you're in charge of the fabric and production, so the final product can be as eco-friendly as you'd like!

Patterns:
About.com's List of Maternity & Nursing Patterns
MakeBabyStuff.com's Maternity Patterns - A couple free maternity patterns & ideas for altering your clothes
Jan Andrea's Baby Crafts - Pattern adaptations for maternity
Inhabitots - Great tips on transforming your current wardrobe

Fabrics:
Treehugger - Mini Directory of Green Fabrics
Atlantis Fabrics - Choose from a variety of different organic fabric types via the left menu
PickNatural - Wholesale fabrics for those willing to order 10 yards or more of each type

My Picks

I shopped a couple second-hand stores in Rochester, MN for my maternity gear.  Your luck really depends on your tastes and what's available in the area you live.  The first one, Good Will, was not a gold mine for me, but I did find two tops for under $10.  There are Good Wills all over the country, so check out this site to find one near you: http://locator.goodwill.org/.



My second stop really was a gold mine.  I hit Savers, another nation-wide chain at just the right time.  Not only did they have more items that were my style, but all shirts were on sale!  I bought three pairs of pants and four shirts for $25.  I felt like the savviest shopper on the planet, but in reality, my patience paid off and I ended up in the right place at the right time.



Grand Total: $35

I'll also supplement this with a few of my husband's old shirts and hope my stretchy workout/pajama pants are already good to go.  I work from home, so I don't need a lot of dressy outfits.  If you do, you're in luck as most of the clothing at these second-hand stores were work-oriented and pretty cute, considering you've got a giant gut to hide.  Just be flexible and shop early and often to find the best deals.

Good luck finding your perfect eco-maternity wardrobe!

No comments:

Post a Comment