Saturday, August 20, 2011

A Girl & Her Melon - CSA Part II

I exposed my love affair with our CSA in last week's post, but now I want to talk about the interesting side-effects of the CSA on our daughter.

There has not been a single type of food that Alison has rejected since we've started feeding her our delicious CSA produce.  This could be her personality, or perhaps it is the variety of foods we've been able to introduce at a young age.

To keep her busy while cooking, I always give her something to play with.  A tiny potato once stuck around for a week until it got soft because it became her best friend.  A variety of fresh produce is also perfect for teethers: cold carrots, cucumbers, and kale stems all seem to be gum-soothers.

 Kale!

The CSA has been an incredible way for us to bring the outdoors inside our apartment.  You don't need to be surrounded by nature to have fun with it and appreciate it.  How do I know?  Check out how much fun (& learning, I suspect) Alison had with this Ambrosia Melon:


This is the kind of good old-fashioned fun that lets you escape a world of plastic toys and concrete.  This is the kind of fun I want my child(ren) to have more often.  If you can't have a garden, the CSA is your next best thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment