Saturday, July 16, 2011

50 Lessons Learned from The Great Depression

Living in DC, I am still trying to wrap my head around paying $1500 for a decent two-bedroom apartment, and therefore am constantly looking for ways to save money.

In high school we were given an assignment to interview someone in our family who had lived through either The Great Depression or World War II.  I chose to interview my Great Grandma Tharp who had raised her kids through The Great Depression.  She was a vibrant woman from Wahoo, NE who loved to garden, took care of a huge house by herself and, at age 92, was not taking any drugs whatsoever!  I wish I saved the paper I wrote from our interview, because she died at the ripe old age of 94, but I only remember one tip from our conversation: they used to save the wrappers from sticks of butter and use them to cook their baked potatoes.

 Photo Credit: Business Week

My friend Danielle found a great article with 50 more tips like the one from my Great Grandma above.  There are countless good reminders and clever suggestions about how to live more simply, frugally, and responsibly.  Pick and choose, I think some of these are worth a try!

http://www.freeshipping.org/blog/50-lessons-learned-from-my-depression-era-parents/

No comments:

Post a Comment