Saturday, July 2, 2011

House Plants - Best Purifiers & Toxicity Table

Photo Credit: Wikipedia


House plants are a great way to bring nature inside.  I like to have the option to travel, so I have a rule that if the plant can't survive for 2-3 weeks without being watered, then it can't live in my house.  I've had really good luck with peace lilies, spider plants, a giant bird of paradise, and "snake plant" (pictured above).  Basil does not fair well without water.  I have killed many a basil plant.

Plants as Air Purifiers

NASA did a study and found that some plants not only look nice, they also help purify the air in your home. Here is the list of "best plant purifiers".

Plant Toxicity

After Alison started moving around and sticking things in her mouth, I became curious whether I should move the plants up higher or let her rip off and taste some of the leaves (it's just like a salad, right?).  The University of Nebraska has published a great site on plant toxicity.  It's good to know that the plants you have won't be a problem for your smallest family members.

No comments:

Post a Comment